Our Study Support Service helps researchers and the life sciences industry to plan, set up and deliver high quality research to time and target in both the NHS and the wider health and social care environment.
We provide this service for all studies eligible for our support, regardless of location, study type, study size, therapy or research area.
Our service is provided through a network of frontline advisers based in our core team and supported by staff in our partner organisations. It covers six key areas:
- A bespoke early contact and engagement service offering support in areas such as eligibility, costings and recruitment pathways. We recommend engaging with us as early as possible, even if you’re yet to secure funding for your project.
- An early feedback service to help you decide if your study is compatible with UK clinical practice and if it can be delivered within the NHS.
- A site identification process to gather expressions of interests from across the country and provide you with potential sites for your study.
- Utilising local expertise to optimise delivery and identify any challenges which may affect your delivery to time and target.
- The creation and implementation of a study-wide action plan, containing a single set of recommendations for all study sites, to enable effective study set-up.
- Performance monitoring using site level information collated by our data systems.
If you require support, or would like to find out more about our Study Support Service, please get in touch:
Telephone: 01489 771111
Study support within primary care
Our team offer bespoke advice on site identification, service support and HR arrangements for primary care studies.
We have almost 70 practices signed up to our Research Sites Initiative (RSI), a local scheme which provides sites with funding to establish and maintain their infrastructure in order to deliver NIHR Clinical Research Network portfolio research.
To find out more about primary care research within Wessex, please visit our primary care website.
To access support from our primary care team, please get in touch:
Telephone: 01489 771028
Bespoke commercial research support
We provide a direct route for companies to access experts and collaborators within our world-leading NIHR research centres and the NHS. Our centres and experts are equipped to work in partnership with the life sciences industry, supporting companies to translate fundamental biomedical research into the clinical setting, run studies in the NHS and develop new treatments, diagnostics and medical devices.
Our Network supports commercial research across all care settings, including primary care. The Commercial Research Primary Care Consortium is a local initiative supporting the development of commercial research. This group aims to:
- Share good practice and resources across member practices
- Promote primary care as a good place to run commercial trials
- Collaborate with industry to place more trials in primary care
We support the delivery of national work streams, including the national contract value review process, national improvement plan and research activity confirmation by providing tailored assistance, disseminating information effectively and delivering training modules.
For more information, please get in touch with our industry team:
Tom Simpson - Acting Industry Operations Manager
Bella Warr and Katherine Bowles - Assistant Portfolio Managers
Telephone: 01489 771119
Support for small to medium-sized enterprises (SMEs)
The development of health technologies can be a long journey that requires a thorough understanding of relevant regulatory frameworks, research governance, supporting organisations and routes to market.
In Wessex, we work across the innovation value chain to support the implementation of new technologies that impact the NHS through improved patient outcomes and cost savings. We support SMEs with establishing research collaborations, developing research studies, advising on regulatory pathways, clinical peer reviews and study set-up.
Alongside the Wessex Academic Health Science Network (AHSN), we run a rigorous Technology Support Programme to support clinically-themed focused innovations. We also offer a Guide to Medical Technologies to help innovators demystify this complex area.
For further support, please get in touch with Robert Hull, Research and Innovation Associate:
Telephone: 01489 771029