Who we are
CRN East of England has the second largest geography of the 15 local networks across England, with a diverse population of around 3.9m across Cambridgeshire, Norfolk, Suffolk and parts of Bedfordshire, Essex and Hertfordshire.
We support the delivery of research at these NHS Trusts:
What we do
We are passionate about the contribution that clinical research can make to our patients lives, and work collaboratively with other NHS providers to translate that passion into the effective delivery of studies in the area. To do this, we make sure that clinical research occupies the place it deserves in the day-to-day work of the NHS across the East of England region. Our region includes 16 Trusts, 11 Clinical Commissioning Groups and selected other qualified providers of NHS and non-NHS public services.
We provide our Partner Organisations with the practical support they need to make clinical studies happen in the NHS, so that more research takes place across the region and more patients can take part.
This practical support includes:
- Advising researchers on how to make their study work in the NHS
- Reducing the bureaucracy associated with setting up a study
- Helping researchers to identify suitable sites and recruit patients to take part in studies
- Funding the people and facilities needed to carry out research
- Access to nationally and locally designed research-related training.
Our year in research 2020-21
Last year saw our CRN East of England community face unprecedented challenges presented by the COVID-19 pandemic with drive, determination and innovation. Despite the pressures faced by all, our region saw more than 122,000 volunteers taking part in research - three times the number of the previous year and a phenomenal effort.
For an overview of the East of England research funded and supported by the NIHR over the last year, take a look at our 2020-21 CRN Eastern Public Annual Report.
Support for the Life Sciences Industry
We have a strong history of collaboration with industry and are committed to the impact that clinical research can make to patient care. Our region offers first class research facilities and centres of excellence within leading teaching hospitals and collaboration with academia.
Our dedicated Industry team supports all commercial Portfolio research within the East of England region throughout the study life cycle. The Industry team provides the following:
- Strategic oversight of the activities of the CRN, nationally, regionally, and at site level to facilitate delivery of industry sponsored studies on the NIHR Portfolio
- Engagement with regional SMEs to encourage engagement with the NHS to deliver research
- Support sites in increasing their commercial portfolio and if required, provide one to one support for first commercial studies
- Access to staff to support under-recruiting studies, and partner experienced and new staff to maintain high quality study delivery, whilst increasing research capacity
- Single point of contact for study queries, feasibility and support
You can get in touch with our Life Sciences Industry Team for more information by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.