Technology Support Programme 2
The Technology Support Programme 2 (TSP2) brings together innovators developing medical technologies (MedTech) with clinicians and academics from across Wessex to secure funding for research and evidence generation for the Wessex health and care research system.
TSP2 is supported by both the Wessex Academic Health Science Network (Wessex AHSN) and the Local Clinical Research Network Wessex (CRN Wessex) and will facilitate the creation of these collaborations. Companies and innovators accepted onto the TSP2 will gain feedback on their innovation from a panel of expert clinicians and academics and go on to apply for significant funding opportunities, so they can develop the evidence base for their technologies to meet the region’s health and care needs.
Eligibility for TSP2:
- You must be a UK registered small-to-medium-sized enterprise (SME).
- The innovation of interest will meet the funding opportunity criteria.
- The research will be carried out in the Wessex region (principally Dorset, Hampshire, and the Isle of Wight)
TSP2 helps innovators target specific funding opportunities, namely the NIHR’s Invention for Innovation (i4i) programme of grants, including:
PDA and Challenge run two funding competitions a year, launching in autumn and spring, whereas Connect runs one funding competition each year. The typical launch dates for i4i funding competitions are shown in the table below. Please see the NIHR i4i website for up-to-date launch dates.
|NIHR funding stream||Spring/Summer||Autumn/Winter|
|Product Development Awards (PDA)||April||October|
Support for other targeting funding outside of the NIHR i4i programme is also available.
The TSP2 journey is divided into five stages:
- Please start by completing the TSP2 application form for the latest round and AHSN engagement form.
- Companies and innovators will be invited to meet with the AHSN and CRN to discuss their innovation and suitability for a collaboration.
- If selected, companies and innovators, with the AHSN/CRN, will produce an information pack with application documents and highlight areas the innovator requires feedback. This document will be sent out to an expert panel of Wessex clinicians and academics for feedback.
- Selected companies and innovators will be invited to present their innovation to the expert panel. All presenters will receive further feedback, advice and, where appropriate, signposting to other opportunities.
- The AHSN/CRN will invite successful applicants to form a strong research team with Wessex based clinicians and academics, who will help you apply for the funding. Companies and innovators will be informed of the panel’s decision within five working days of the presentations.
Please also read our Terms of Reference document to find out more information on the above steps.
Successful companies and innovators will then be part of the TSP2 and will benefit from the following:
- The formation of a research consortium with Wessex clinicians and academics to apply for the targeted funding calls.
- Feedback on their innovations and ways in which it may better meet clinical needs.
- A fully funded associate who will provide project management support in the form of coordinating bid writing, liaising with the chief investigators and wider research teams, and ensuring that deadlines are met.
- Funding Support Service with our inhouse bid writer.
If you are an innovator, start-up, small business or established company and believe could be eligible for one of our open calls, or a clinician or researcher in Wessex who would like to find out more please consider applying and contact the Industry Team.