CRN North East and North Cumbria Research Delivery Awards 2022/23 - Guidance for applicants
The NIHR Clinical Research Network North East and North Cumbria (CRN NENC) Research Delivery Awards (RDA) for 2022/23 opens to applications on Friday 29 October 2021.
People who receive Research Delivery Awards make a significant and important contribution to the delivery and leadership of research across the region.
To apply, you will need to identify the key research goals you hope to achieve if successful. These goals should be tailored to your personal job plan/role, expertise and type of contribution, whilst also reflecting the wider strategic needs of your speciality, organisation and the CRN NENC as a whole; progress towards achieving these goals will be reviewed in-year.
Your Specialty Group Research Lead will review each of the applications to determine the best overall balance for your specialty.
Awards are usually of a value of up to £4,500. Awards will be for one year starting in April 2022.
You may wish to discuss your application and research goals with your Specialty Group Research Lead before applying. You may also find it useful to keep a copy of the application form for your appraisal to demonstrate how you are engaging in research.
The scheme is available to staff who wish to develop their research roles up to and beyond being a Principal Investigator. Previous Greenshoots awardees are encouraged to apply. Eligible staff (individual applications or as a team) include:
- consultant medical staff and specialty doctors (permanent non-training grades) in secondary care
- nurses, midwives and Allied Health Professionals (NMAHPs)
- Clinical Research Practitioners (e.g. Clinical Studies Officer, Research Practitioner, Clinical Trials Practitioner and Clinical Trials Officer)
- registered professionals (e.g. pharmacists and clinical psychologists)
- professionals working in public health and social care
Professionals working in primary care/community/general practice settings are ineligible as a different funding model applies.
RDAs can fund the following types of activities:
- increasing non-commercial and commercial NIHR Portfolio research delivery
- generating new NIHR Portfolio research
- supporting early career researchers through mentorship
- engagement with research leadership activities
The application form will prompt you to select which of these activities might be your preferred goal/s over the timeframe of the award and will be used to review your progress in year.
Applications are welcomed from either individuals or a team. For team applications, a lead applicant must be identified who submits a single application on behalf of the other team member. Applicants must seek approval from their Clinical Director/Line Manager before making an application to ensure the award can be accommodated within job plans/roles. You will be prompted to confirm this permission when applying. Applicants may wish to register to become a research mentor, or select a mentor if appropriate. This can be done via the NENC Mentor Directory.
Please apply using the online application form. Applications will open on Friday 29 October 2021 and close on Tuesday 30 November 2021. Applicants will be notified of the outcome by Tuesday 01 February 2022.
Please contact your relevant Specialty Group Research Lead or Research Delivery Manager to discuss your application; they will be able to answer any questions you may have regarding your application. Discussion with your organisation's R&D office/leadership team is also highly advised.
- 2022/23 NIHR CRN NENC Research Delivery Awards open Friday 29 October 2021.
- Applicants complete the online application form before Tuesday 30 November 2021.
- Applicants notified of awards on Friday 4 February 2022.