North West Coast Research and Innovation Awards 2023
The North West Coast Research and Innovation Awards is the only health awards event for the region, run by three NHS bodies focused on research and innovation.
Hosted by the Innovation Agency; Clinical Research Network North West Coast (CRN NWC); and Applied Research Collaboration North West Coast (ARC NWC) the event attracted around 180 entries of whom 36 were shortlisted in 12 categories.
A special category was created this year to mark the 75th anniversary of the creation of the NHS – the Unsung Hero Award.
Special guest Professor Sir Stephen Powis, Medical Director of the NHS, said: “Every challenge we face is an opportunity to learn, collaborate and embrace new approaches to deliver improvements in the services we provide, for the benefit of patients, staff and the wider NHS. As the NHS looks forward to its 75th birthday on 5th July, it is a good time to reflect on its journey and on the incredible research and innovation milestones that have transformed patient outcomes and that will help to build an NHS that is fit for the future.”
There were twelve awards in total which showcase the best research and innovation from NHS organisations, industry and academic partners, third sector organisations, local authorities and other collaborators in health innovation.
The winners were announced at a ceremony on 22 June at The Royal College of Physicians, The Spine in Liverpool hosted by BBC TV North West and Breakfast presenter Roger Johnson.
The winners are listed below; to find out more about their entries, visit www.nwcawards.co.uk.
- Culture for Innovation Award - Marie Cure Hospice Liverpool
- Innovation in Workforce Development Award - Health Education England NW; Lancashire and South Cumbria NHS Foundation Trust; University of Central Lancashire
- Patient Safety and Care Improvement Award - Liverpool University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and Innovation Agency
- Research Student of the Year Award - Piotr Teodorowski
- Ruth Young Award for Research Implementation - Liverpool Heart and Chest Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Outstanding Contribution to Patient and Public Involvement Award - Lancaster University
- Research Delivery Team of the Year Award - Warrington and Halton Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- Research Collaboration of the Year Award - Marine Lake Medical Practice and Wirral University Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- Primary Care and/or Community Research Team of the Year Award - Lancaster Medical Practice
- Unsung Hero: NHS 75th Anniversary Award - Sue Smith of One Wirral CIC
- Tackling Health Inequalities Award - Liverpool John Moores University; University of Liverpool; Edge Hill University
- Sustainability Award - Liverpool University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust, Broadgreen University Hospital