Celebration Awards 2023 see wins for health and care research staff in the East of England
Wednesday 12 July saw research teams from across the East of England come together in Norwich to celebrate their efforts and achievements at the CRN East of England Celebration Awards 2023.
The Celebration Awards 2023 shone a light on the incredible work to deliver NIHR research that has been happening around the region since January 2022. The ceremony, held at St Andrew's Hall, Norwich, recognised the research achievements of health and care staff, and provided an opportunity for them to connect with colleagues and supporters.
A total of ten winners were recognised across the eight awards categories, representing seven NHS trusts.
The Celebration Award 2023 winners listed as announced are:
- ‘Innovation and Improvement’ - The Research Team at Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust
- ‘Research Volunteer’ - David Smith and Ron Flewett at Royal Papworth Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- ‘Inclusive Working’ - The Rheumatology Research Unit at Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and the Rheumatology Research Team at East Suffolk and North Essex NHS Foundation Trust
- ‘Wellbeing’ - Susie O'Sullivan at North West Anglia NHS Foundation Trust
- ‘Breaking Boundaries’ - The Paediatric Research Team at James Paget University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
- ‘Unsung Hero’ - Sarah Bailey at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- ‘Putting People First’ - Paula Turnbull at Cambridge University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
- ‘Research Inspiration’ - Rebekah Girling at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Alongside the awards ceremony, the event featured a talk from Professor Ruth Endacott, NIHR Director of Nursing and Midwifery, and a special pre-recorded message from Dr Gail Marzetti, the Director of Science, Research and Evidence at the Department of Health and Social Care and Deputy CEO at the NIHR.
The event also featured an inspiring interview with Shami, a research participant who took part in research at West Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust. Shami spoke to attendees about his experience in taking part in NIHR renal research.
The hosts of the day were CRN East of England Clinical Directors, Professor Jeremy Turner and Dr Effrossyni Gkrania-Klotsas, and Professor Erika Denton, CRN East of England Host Trust Board Executive, closed the ceremony.
Helen Macdonald, Chief Operating Officer for the NIHR CRN East of England, said:
“Congratulations to all winners and nominees and thank you to everyone who has played a part in driving forward the health and care research happening in the region.
“It is an incredible privilege to be able to recognise and celebrate the inspirational work of NHS and social care research staff who, together, work tirelessly to help us continue to improve treatments and care for people.”
Visit the Celebration Awards 2023 website to find out more about all winners and finalists.
Annual data published recently by the NIHR Clinical Research Network show that research teams based at NHS and social care organisations across the East of England region saw huge increases in research over 2022/23. Read more about last year’s data.