Be Part of Research is a service that makes it easy for the public to learn about and search for research studies. Discover how research studies are designed, what happens when you decide to take part and the importance of taking part. You can:
- Use the search tool to find current research studies happening right now
- Find studies taking place near you
- Filter results easily by age, health condition etc
- Use the site on desktop or mobile
- Download, save or print the full study details so you can talk to your doctor, nurse or healthcare professional.
Once you’ve found a study, you can see all the details including who to contact and ask
to take part.
Whether you have been diagnosed with a condition or not, everyone can take part in
research. Find a study that’s right for you.
Interested in taking part in dementia research studies?
Register with Join Dementia Research so that you can be told when a study starts in your area and the researchers are looking for people just like you. There's no obligation to take part in any study, but by registering, you’ll find out when new opportunities become available.
The service is delivered in partnership by the NIHR, Alzheimer’s Research UK, Alzheimer's Society and Alzheimer Scotland.
What are Research Champions?
Research Champions volunteer their time to help spread the word about health and care research to patients and the public, and especially those groups who are currently less likely to take part in research. They also help research and healthcare staff understand more about the experiences of those who take part in research.
They are patients, carers, members of the public, people who have taken part in a research study before, as well as those who haven’t. Something that they all have in common is that they are passionate about getting more people involved in research so that we can develop better care and treatment for everyone.
What can Research Champions do?
What you contribute as a Research Champion will be shaped around your interests, skills and time. Some commit to regular activities while others may volunteer as opportunities arise. Research Champions may volunteer to get involved in some of the activities listed below:
- Talk to patients and the public about health and care research e.g. by giving talks, hosting coffee mornings or hosting stands within the local community, visiting health services
- Raise awareness amongst friends and family about research and being a champion for taking part in health and care research amongst people they know
- Promote the Be Part of Research campaign to patient, public groups and help people find out about research studies they can take part in
- Promote the Join Dementia Research website and the importance of dementia research to the public
- Visit local health and care organisations to tell people about health and care research and encourage them to connect with local research teams
- Take part in local actions to mark International Clinical Trials Day and health awareness days
- Write about their experiences of participating in health and care research to share with the NIHR or other platforms
- Speak to patient groups about health and care research
Contact our Participant Engagement & Involvement Lead Ali Potter (firstname.lastname@example.org) | 01392 406912 if you’d like to discuss becoming a Research Champion.
We'd love to hear from you
Your experiences can help shape local research and inspire others. If you've taken part in research or been involved in supporting it in any way we would love to hear from you. If you're happy to share your experiences please contact our Communications Team at CRN.SWP@nhs.net or 01752 431994.
You can also follow our latest news through Twitter, Facebook and Instagram