Workforce, Learning and Development
* Please note, training arrangements have been altered due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic. Alternative provisions are being made during this time.
Our Workforce, Learning and Development Team works to promote research as an attractive career option within health and social care.
Working with colleagues across the region, we support a number of national, North of England and Greater Manchester learning and development initiatives. We also collaborate with research delivery leaders on other workforce-related issues, such as intelligence and planning.
We aim to improve the standards of research delivery by:
- ensuring all delivery staff have the opportunity to connect and share best practice
- supporting the development of our future clinical research delivery leaders through the application of the national CRN Integrated Workforce Framework (and other assessment tools) and the CRN Advanced Leadership Programme
- identifying the learning needs of the workforce and providing a comprehensive programme of learning, with some roles having pathways of development to be followed
- developing our Clinician Researcher and Principal Investigator community and supporting trainees to get involved in clinical research
- providing delivery staff with support in workforce planning, recruitment, career pathways and professional development
Our Greater Manchester regional training facilitator team delivers a range of learning programmes locally to support the delivery of high quality clinical research across the region. These are freely available to all staff who contribute to NIHR Portfolio studies within the Greater Manchester region. We have developed suggested training pathways related to the role someone is currently playing within a research protocol, or the role they need to play in the future.
Log-on to NIHR Learn and select the Greater Manchester tab to register for upcoming training courses.
NIHR development opportunities
We also support local, regional and national initiatives which aim to develop our regional research workforce. This includes supporting the NIHR Clinical Research Practitioner project, 70@70 programme and Advanced Leadership Programme.