CRN North East and North Cumbria Research Delivery Awards 2022/23 - Guidance for partner organisation research and development/innovation directors and managers
The NIHR Clinical Research Network North East and North Cumbria (CRN NENC) Research Delivery Awards (RDA) for 2022/23 opens to applications on Friday 29 October 2021.
People who receive Research Delivery Awards make a significant and important contribution to the delivery and leadership of research across the region.
To apply, interested parties will be asked to identify the key research goals they hope to achieve if successful. These goals should be tailored to their personal job plan/role, expertise and type of contribution, whilst also reflecting the wider strategic needs of their speciality, organisation and the CRN NENC as a whole. Progress towards achieving these goals will be reviewed in-year.
Specialty Group Research Leads will review each of the applications to determine the best overall balance for their speciality.
Usually awards are of a value of up to £4,500. Awards will be for one year starting April 2022.
The scheme is available to staff who wish to develop their research roles up to and beyond being a Principal Investigator. Previous Greenshoots awardees are encouraged to apply. Eligible staff (individual or as a team) include:
- consultant medical staff and specialty doctors (permanent non-training grades) in secondary care
- nurses, midwives and Allied Health Professionals (NMAHPs)
- Clinical Research Practitioners (e.g. Clinical Studies Officer, Research Practitioner, Clinical Trials Practitioner and Clinical Trials Officer)
- registered professionals (e.g. Pharmacists and Clinical Psychologists)
- professionals working in public health and social care
Professionals working in primary care/community/general practice settings are ineligible as a different funding model applies
RDAs can fund the following types of activities:
- increasing non-commercial and commercial NIHR Portfolio research delivery
- generating new NIHR Portfolio research
- supporting early career researchers
- engagement with research leadership activities
The application form will prompt interested parties to select which of these activities would be the key goal/s over the timeframe of the award. Progress towards attainment of these goals will be assessed in-year.
Applications are welcomed from either individuals or a team. For team applications, a lead applicant must be identified who submits a single application on behalf of the team. Applicants must seek approval from their Clinical Director/Line Manager before making an application to ensure the award can be accommodated within job plans/roles: they will be prompted to confirm this is organised when applying. Discussion with the R&D office/leadership team is also advised and applicants may wish to register to become a research mentor, or select a mentor if appropriate. This can be done via the NENC Mentor Directory.
- We would be grateful if R&D managers and directors and line managers of organisations outside of the NHS could share this guidance document and application form widely within their organisation and encourage colleagues to apply before Tuesday 30 November 2021.
- Partner organisation Single Point of Contacts (SPoCs) will be provided with a list of applications by email after close of business on Tuesday 30 November 2021.
- SPoCs will share this information with R&D/appropriate contacts.
- Should R&D have feedback and, where it is practical for R&D to provide it, feedback will be welcomed.
- Comments should be forwarded via the SPoC to the relevant Research Delivery Manager, before Tuesday 21 December 2021.
- R&D directors and managers/senior managers for organisations outside of the NHS will be provided a full list of their organisation’s awards by email (including the amount for each individual in a team award) on Tuesday 1 February 2022. All applicants will be notified individually of the outcome by Tuesday 1 February 2022.
- 2022/23 NIHR CRN NENC Research Delivery Awards open Friday 29 October 2021.
- Applicants complete the online application form before Tuesday 30 November 2021.
- CRN NENC Single Point of Contact (SPoC) will contact R&D to invite comments and feedback (where appropriate) on the applicants relevant to the PO. This feedback should be directed to the SPoC before Tuesday 21 December 2021.
- All outstanding feedback should be resolved between the specialty and the organisation before Monday 10 January 2022.
- CRN NENC Executive decision making board meets on Wednesday 19 January 2022.
- All parties will be notified by email on Tuesday 1 February 2022.