Connect with us and contribute to research in your region
The National Patient Recruitment Centre initiative is purpose-designed to increase the UK’s capacity to deliver late-phase commercial clinical research and attract more studies to our region.
Partnerships and collaborations across the health sector in our region are a key feature of our operating model. These connections, which include primary, secondary, community and social care organisations, extend our recruitment reach far beyond the Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust. This means that we can provide more opportunities for more people to access cutting edge treatments and therapies.
We have a strong history in the development and cultivation of strong collaborations in Devon, across the United Kingdom and internationally. This has enabled us to enhance our research portfolio by working across organisational boundaries, realising opportunities to access a range of resources and expertise and, ultimately, increasing the breadth of research opportunities for the benefit of our population.
Collaborating to improve access
We are proud of the strong links we have already forged with healthcare providers in the region:
- Devon Partnership Trust (DPT) is already partnered with Royal Devon & Exeter NHS Foundation Trust to support dementia and other neurodegenerative research. Through PRC: Exeter we aim to attract more trials that are suitable for the patient population served by DPT. We will also support potential participants to access these trials and the specialist clinical skills they bring.
- Northern Devon Healthcare NHS Trust shares senior Board appointments with the RD&E and will expand this collaboration through PRC: Exeter to further support patient recruitment and retention.
- Our research delivery teams work collaboratively with the Clinical Research Network South West Peninsula across both primary and secondary care. We want to support more General Practices to engage in Patient Identification Centre (PIC) activity and additional outreach activities which will be undertaken in collaboration with the local Network team.
- Other important regional research delivery partnerships include our work with the Academic Health Science Network (AHSN) and the local Strategic Transformation Plans (STPs).
- A long standing partnership exists between our host organisation, the RD&E, and the University of Exeter - ranked in the top five in the UK for research and teaching. The University of Exeter has extremely strong clinical networks including national and international academic collaborations in key areas supporting trials across dementia, oncology, diabetes, inflammatory bowel disease, obesity, and exercise. They frequently lead, or co-lead, national networks and have recently published research in partnership with leading international and UK centres such as Oxford, Cambridge, Imperial, Liverpool and Bristol. These connections bring a wealth of research expertise and experience to PRC: Exeter
The arrival of PRC: Exeter provides a fantastic opportunity to build and develop further partnerships with regional NHS care providers, charities and community groups to expand activity together, providing opportunities for people across specialties and the region to benefit from research and providing opportunities for colleagues from different organisations to work together to deliver late phase commercial clinical trials.
Our research facilities
PRC: Exeter benefits from being on the main RD&E site at Wonford. Facilities include:
- a park and ride service or dedicated parking for visitors
- a separate entrance and waiting area where refreshments are available for trial participants
- clinical rooms
- a dedicated pharmacy dispensing trial medication
- a sample preparation room
- meeting room with video conferencing capabilities
Our friendly team comprises experienced principal investigators, clinical research delivery staff and professional services staff who are keen to forge new relationships and work in new ways to expand research activity across the region. We look forward to working with you for the benefit of patients across the regions our population and beyond.
Get in touch
We’d love to explore how we could work with you and your organisation. Why not get in touch?
- Email: email@example.com
- Royal Devon & Exeter NHS Foundation Trust
- Royal Devon & Exeter Research website
- Be Part of Research
- Coronavirus (COVID-19) Vaccine Trial Registry
- Clinical Research Network: South West Peninsula
- Patient Recruitment Center: Blackpool
- Patient Recruitment Center: Bradford
- Patient Recruitment Centre: Leicester
- Patient Recruitment Centre: Newcastle