CRN South London call on Short Term Contingency Funding – NOW OPEN!
There is a £750,000 funding pot available during the 2019/20 financial year which will be allocated through a competitive bidding process.
Applicants will need to complete the application form in collaboration with the relevant Research Delivery Manager. Click on this link to find the manager responsible for your specialty who you should contact first in making your application. Once completed, your application must be electronically approved by your R&D Department.
This funding is only available during the 2019/20 financial year and must be fully spent within this period. The first review of applications will take place on Monday 29 April 2019 and the last review will be held on Monday 16 December 2019.
The process map below shows how your application will progress:
Application Guidance (document available to download here):
- Prior to completing a contingency application discussion should take place with your Trust R&D Department to see if CRN core resource can be mobilized to provide support. If this support is not available you should discuss access to the CRN South London flexible workforce with the relevant RDM prior to completing the proforma
- Completion of the contingency application should be initiated by the Relevant Research Delivery Manager (or their Deputy in their absence) in conjunction with the applicant
- Forms that are incomplete and don’t include Study IDs and have not been developed in conjunction with the relevant Research Delivery Manager will not be considered
- Any allocated funding must be fully utilised by end of March 2020
- Posts (full or part time) will be funded for substantive or bank posts only i.e. contingency should not be used to support the development of new posts
- Funding can be available for workforce opportunities for part time secondments for clinical staff who would benefit from an opportunity to undertake portfolio research activities (supporting eligible activities)
- Contingency funding is to fund named posts supporting NIHR portfolio activity delivered within CRN South London
- Funding is available for eligible service support activities only (as per AcoRD Guidelines, see below). Please note this funding can’t be used to support research costs or excess treatment costs
- A full activity, spending and impact report will be required at year end or end of funding period
- Any applicant, who received contingency funding in the last financial year but did not return the ‘End of Funding Report’ as required, will be ineligible for further funding in current financial year
- Posts which were funded by the CRN in 2018/19 will be considered low priority
- The application should be discussed with the relevant Trust R&D Manager and Research Delivery Manager. Both signatures are required prior to consideration
CRN funding can NOT be used for:
- Protocol development activities
- Development of new posts
- Preparation of grant applications or any other pre-protocol activity
- Capital development, new buildings or refurbishments
- To buy capital equipment
- Delivery outside of CRN South London
- Central study management
Research or treatment costs, as defined in “attributing revenue costs of externally-funded non-commercial research in the NHS AcoRD documents” (available at https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/guidance-on-attributing-the-costs-of-health-and-social-care-research)