The Model by which funding is distributed each year is agreed annually by the CRN South London Partnership Board. The distribution model for 2019/20 will be agreed by the Board in December.
The funding principles for 2019/20 to support the CRN strategy are:
- A top sliced element is retained to support central hosting, governance and management costs
- A ring-fenced fund of £1.2M will be retained for five smaller Partner Organisations to develop business plans for growth in conjunction with CRN South London (this is an increased investment to enable broader equity of access to research opportunities)
- A ring-fenced fund of £800K to support provision of central services in primary care, public health and social care
- Provision of £250K to support Greenshoots initiatives
- A 3% contingency fund is retained for Investigators and NHS Trusts to apply for additional funding to support unplanned needs in-year. You can apply for contingency funding by clicking here
- Research support will continue to be provided through a combination of core funding to Trusts and flexible staff employed through the larger centres but managed by the CRN Research Delivery Managers (RDMs). You can find out who the relevant RDM for your speciality is here
- The balance of flexible workforce funding compared to core allocations was reduced to 15% of the residual budget (to allow for better planning in relation to vacancies). The remaining 85% provides core funding to the CRN’s larger Partner Organisations
- To encourage growth in recruitment, core funding to Trusts will reflect recruitment to portfolio studies in the previous two years. The ratio for allocating funding was updated to reflect the national ratios to 1:3.5:11 for large sample size, observational and interventional studies.
You can view our funding allocation in full by clicking here.