Guidance for applicants to CRN Wessex excess treatment costs (ETCs) funding in 2020/21 for non-commercial research on the NIHR CRN Portfolio
National guidance states that studies incurring ETCs for specialised commissioning related patient care activities that were funded prior to 1 st October 2018 should be managed under existing arrangements and so the Wessex ETC fund will continue for these studies only.
Applications received by CRN Wessex will be reviewed thoroughly by the CRN Wessex Executive Group. Please refer to Appendix 1 for Executive Group meeting dates and submission deadlines. Activity for which funding is requested must be correctly attributed as a treatment cost, in line with AcoRD guidance, and the amount requested should only be the additional cost of the research treatment once the cost of standard care has been subtracted.
- Full details of the ETC being claimed, including the basis for cost calculation (e.g. cost per patient entered into the research study and cost saving if applicable)
- A summary of ETC funding that is being requested in the current financial year and subsequent financial years
- Detail of any subvention funding awarded by the DHSC
- The recruitment goal in the current financial year and subsequent years
- A copy of the approved study protocol
- A copy of the submitted grant application form
- A copy of the schedule of events
- UKCRN Portfolio Study ID number
Payment of ETCs
- Whilst the national ETC process is being piloted, it is intended that funding from the Wessex ETCs fund will remain available for specialised commissioning ETCs associated with studies that applied for research funding prior to 1st October 2018. It is possible that national guidance may change and in response, local arrangements may also change within this pilot phase.
- Funding will be conditional on timely submission of recruitment data onto EDGE and to the NIHR Portfolio database
- Funding will be payable only for the ETCs associated with treatment that has been provided
- Payment will be quarterly in arrears. Applicants should complete an Invoicing Form (available on the CRN Wessex website). Please refer to appendix 2 for invoicing guidance.
- The first payment will be made upon the £1,000 threshold being incurred
- A funding application is required for subsequent years and should be submitted to CRN Wessex in February of each year
- CRN Wessex shall be under no obligation to make any payment on claims received more than 9 months after the costs have been incurred by the trial and there will be a general presumption against paying invoices received after this date unless an extension has been agreed in writing
- There is a possibility that ETCs incurred may exceed the limited funding available if all studies recruit to time and target. NHS Organisations must be prepared to go at risk and meet the ETCs from their patient care budget should this situation arise
Appendix 1 – Schedule of CRN Wessex Executive Group Meetings
Meeting dates 2020/21
ETCs Application Deadline 2020/21
|Thursday 19 March 2020||Thursday 5 March 2020|
|Thursday 23 April 2020||Thursday 9 April 2020|
|Thursday 21 May 2020||Thursday 7 May 2020|
|Wednesday 24 June 2020||Wednesday 10 June 2020|
|Wednesday 22 July 2020||Wednesday 8 July 2020|
|Wednesday 2 September 2020||Wednesday 19 August 2020|
|Wednesday 7 October 2020||Wednesday 23 September 2020|
Wednesday 18 November 2020
|Wednesday 4 November 2020|
|Wednesday 16 December 2020||Wednesday 2 December 2020|
|Wednesday 13 January 2021||Wednesday 30 December 2020|
|Wednesday 17 February 2021||Wednesday 3 February 2021|
|Wednesday 17 March 2021||Wednesday 3 rd March 2021|
Appendix 2 - Excess Treatment Costs Invoicing Guidance 2020/21
- Please complete the CRN Wessex ETC Invoicing Form
- Completed Invoice forms should be submitted by the following deadlines:
|1 April to 30 June||31 August|
|1 July to 30 September||30 November|
|1 October to 31 December||28 February|
|1 January to 31 March||31 May|
- Payment will be quarterly in arrears and the first payment will be made upon the £1,000 threshold being incurred
- Invoice Forms should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Once the amount has been agreed, if the £1,000 threshold has been reached a purchase order number will be raised by CRN Wessex and supplied to the organisation requiring payment to allow an invoice to be raised. Where the £1,000 threshold has not yet been reached, the amount will be recorded and added to future costs incurred until £1,000 threshold is reached.
- Funding will be conditional on timely submission of recruitment data onto EDGE and to the NIHR Portfolio database.
- Funding will be payable only for the ETCs associated with treatment that has been provided.
- A funding application is required for subsequent years and should be submitted to the CRN Wessex in February of each year.
- CRN Wessex shall be under no obligation to make any payment on claims received more than nine months after the costs have been incurred by the trial and there will be a general presumption against paying invoices received after this date unless an extension has been agreed in writing.