CRN Yorkshire & Humber Funding Model
NIHR CRN Yorkshire and Humber Funding Model
The model by which funding is distributed across the Clinical Research Network Yorkshire and Humber is agreed annually by the CRNYH Partnership Group. The annual plan and final allocations were agreed at the April 2019 meeting.
Funding is provided through a combination of:
- allocations to each partner Trust to utilise in support of their research priorities
- an allocation that funds a flexible clinical team working across the Network and managed centrally
The funding principles for 2019/20 to support CRN activity and strategy are:
- A top-sliced element is retained to support central hosting, study support service and management costs.
- A research delivery allocation is made to network partner trusts (72% of total annual amount) at the start of the year. This funds the infrastructure to support recruitment of participants into the non-commercial research portfolio.
- Funding is based on historically agreed partner trust recruitment targets and reflects a local weighting for the complexity of the trials. This weighting is 1:3.5:11 for large sample size, observational and interventional studies respectively.
- Partner trusts receive an annual funding allocation that supports the research governance activity in their R&D departments (5% of the total budget).
- For 2019/20, the funding allocations to our 22 partner trusts was maintained at 2018/19 levels to provide stability.
- £436k funds Clinical Leadership across the region supporting 32 clinical specialties.
- A contingency of £517k (2% of the total budget) has been ring-fenced to support CRNYH strategic objectives including local population health needs.
- A funding allocation of £978,319 (3.7% of the total budget) funds a flexible team of staff working across the Network supporting acute, primary care and other sector research activity.
- Primary care, public health and social care activity is supported additionally with £689.4k to fund infrastructure and service support primarily through a GP practice cluster model.
2019-20 Funding Allocation
|CRN Yorkshire & Humber Core Funding Allocation
|Core Expenditure Category||2019/20 Plan||Percentage of Total Allocation|
|Partner Organisation - Delivery||£18,661,889||72.18%|
|Partner Organisation - Study Set-up and Management||£1,313,116||77%||5.08%|
|Leadership & Management||£813,068||3.14%|
|Network Study Support Service||£1,720,815||6.66%|
|Primary & Community Care Delivery Flexible Team||£440,681||1.70%|
|Primary & Community Service Support and Infrastructure Payments||£689,373||2.67%|
|Flexible Workforce Delivery||£978,819||3.79%|
|Contingency 2% Ringfenced for National Priorities||£517,080||23%||2.00%|
|YORKSHIRE & HUMBER LCRN PARTNER ORGANISATION 2019/20 OPENING CORE DELIVERY & RMAG FUNDING|
|Airedale NHS Foundation Trust||£396,553||£24,939||£421,492|
|Barnsley Hospital NHS Foundation Trust||£188,890||£18,503||£207,393|
|Bradford District Care Trust||£286,433||£13,676||£300,109|
|Bradford Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust||£1,736,835||£105,388||£1,842,223|
|Calderdale and Huddersfield NHS Foundation Trust||£687,770||£48,269||£736,039|
|Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust||£295,182||£40,224||£335,406|
|Harrogate and District NHS Foundation Trust||£804,862||£43,442||£848,304|
|Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust||£1,579,332||£148,133||£1,727,465|
|Humber NHS Foundation Trust||£281,154||£16,090||£297,244|
|Leeds and York Partnership NHS Foundation Trust||£246,215||£17,699||£263,914|
|Leeds Community Healthcare NHS Trust||£168,567||£13,676||£182,243|
|Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust||£5,001,689||£280,766||£5,282,455|
|Mid-Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust||£755,722||£50,683||£806,405|
|Northern Lincolnshire & Goole Hospitals NHS FT||£462,069||£30,570||£492,639|
|Rotherham Doncaster and South Humber NHS FT||£66,984||£32,267||£99,251|
|Sheffield Children's NHS Foundation Trust||£287,265||£50,683||£337,948|
|Sheffield Health and Social Care FT||£177,742||£16,090||£193,832|
|Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS FT||£3,606,242||£242,150||£3,848,392|
|South West Yorkshire Partnership NHS FT||£109,100||£12,067||£121,167|
|The Rotherham NHS Foundation Trust||£198,668||£20,112||£218,780|
|Yorkshire Ambulance Service NHS Trust||£60,700||£2,413||£63,113|
|York Teaching Hospital NHS Foundation Trust||£1,263,915||£85,276||£1,349,191|
|Increase from 2017/19 increase remains with partners