CRN Greater Manchester - Alternative provision of NIHR Learning and Development
Learning Programme Update September 2020
While social distancing measures are in place, the CRN GM learning programme has been adapted to a provision of mainly online learning opportunities. But we are now able to offer face-to-face training under strict infection control protocol (when there is evidence of demand).
NIHR Learn summarises the national and local Learning and Development offer at the moment and comprises of a range of learning activities such as short videos, and informal and formal pieces of learning:
- e-learning - via the GCP elearning tab
- face-to-face training - via the local learning Greater Manchester tab
Opportunities within NIHR Learn
- Fundamentals* of Clinical Research for IMP Management (refreshed materials)
- COVID-19 Vaccine Trials Training. There is a new tab in the centre of each Learn user’s home page, plus there is some local guidance
Research Delivery Team Essentials
This two-day programme was put on hold in March. We are planning a return to a socially-distanced classroom. We have asked delivery leaders to make assessments of need, plus we are changing the nomination process so that we can help new starters organise their training plans.
From October 1, if you are employing a new member of research delivery staff, please nominate them for research-specific training so that we can support them pro-actively.
Informed Consent and Principal Investigator Essentials
Within the COVID-19 Vaccine Trials Training pages, staff can express an interest in completing these courses.
Following a joint training needs assessment with GM NHS Trusts, we will be organising two sessions of each between now and the end of December 2020.
However, the information regarding these courses actually sits in the local learning pages. Users can explore making a booking there and if not, they can send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org
For research delivery staff, before making any training requests, please remember to refer to your training pathway and please note that priority will be given to those staff listed in the TNA.
Additional learning opportunities via CRN GM
- Fundamentals series*: This has been extended to include a self-directed learning module for Clinical Research Document Management. It is suitable for anyone new to research who is allocated this role but is not working at GCP level – medical students supporting research, primary care staff, volunteers.
- CRN GM – PI Learning Zone: This webpage of curated resources was originally developed to support new Principal Investigators (PIs) in Primary Care, but is available for all new PIs to access.
Massive Online Open Courses (MOOCs)
Both NIHR MOOCs are scheduled to repeat:
- For NHS staff, patients and public: "What is Health Research?" Explore the world of health research and the role volunteers play in transforming treatments and improving health care.
- For research novices: "Improving Healthcare through Clinical Research". In this free online course, find out how medical treatments are discovered, tested and evaluated to improve healthcare for all.
* Fundamentals level describes a member of the team who is performing a research task within the scope of their usual role but in accordance with Sponsoror Employer SOPs only.